Calendar - Long Term Planning Schedule

Below is the timetable of what I propose to complete before January 14th:

Friday 4 February 2011

Evaluation Question 2

2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

For the most part, I feel that I have effectively combined my main product and ancillary texts.

Main character in teaser trailer
Main character in poster
Main character on magazine cover

 I was able to do this by using the same main character across all three tasks, which meant that I suitably established this character, giving the audience foreknowledge. This meant that they were more likely to watch 'Aberration' because they were aware of the type of character they would follow throughout the film. Moreover, across all three texts, I used shots of 'Claudia' in character and with the same sartorial codes, so as to reduce any confusion. Although 'Aberration' was an independent film due to its low budget credentials, I decided to create a mainstream magazine which would be released roughly around the same date as the film 'Aberration.' I wished to portray a film with limited funding which rises to fame, akin to The Blair Witch Project. This meant that all three products were more adaptable, in that I wished to create a production which would be suitable to both a mainstream and independent audience. So, whilst mainstream magazines usually sell their issues through famous actresses on the front cover, I decided to create a magazine which revolved around the basis of a low-budget film becoming popular, such as Reservoir Dogs.

Red 'danger' sign
Another way in which I linked my ancillary tasks to my teaser trailer was that I used school symbols throughout, such as the red lockers on the poster, linked with the red jumpers of 'Ellie' and her friends, as well as the school building. Whilst the preferred reading is that the lockers tell the audience where 'Aberration' is set, an alternative reading is that the colour red is usually a sign for danger, or anger, therefore presenting my product's genre. Moreover, red is usually the colour used for depictions of the devil, which therefore tells the audience that the school may not be as peaceful as it should.




On the other hand, in some ways, the links I have drawn between all three products may be considered weaker than they could be. Although in the poster and teaser trailer, I included the film's title, on the magazine cover, I decided not to include this. The reason for this was because, based on my product research, I noticed that some magazines only include the actor/actresses name (see below for a comparison between Total Film and Pioneer). I therefore decided to use the - in my opinion - more subtle approach of using my main character's name with the upside-down cross which I incorporated into all three texts as a substitute of the letter 'T.' I believed using this sort of symbol would mean that potential consumers would subconsciously come to associate it with 'Aberration.' I also thought that it would target my intended audience, i.e. people aged 16-25 who enjoy watching horror films. This, after all, is one of the objectives to creating promotional campaigns for a particular film/text.
In addition to this, most magazines do not use the same font style as the film's title, because they are simply promoting the film through wishing to promote and sell their own magazine.

So, overall, I believe that, for these reasons, my main product and ancillary tasks compliment each other well, creating an effective promotional campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment